I found this email from my ISP, aka cable company, slightly amusing…
If you ever have trouble connecting to the Internet you might be able to fix it quickly.
- Turn off the cable modem, if it has an on/off switch.
- Unplug the modem from its power source
- Turn off your computer completely. Do not immediately restart the computer. Keep everything off for at least one minute.
- Plug the modem back into the power source. (If it has an on/off switch, turn it on)
- Restart your computer and try to connect to the Internet.
I know, I’m enough of a techie to know what to do, but what if you have one of those little firewall/router boxes? Or use wifi? Or have some setup that does not involved a single computer plugged directly into a cable modem? I would think that situation is more common than ever before, with most households that have broadband having more than one computer using the connection…
(Of course the real fix is for my ISP to provide more reliable service…)