I took the kids Trick or Treating over the weekend. Below are some observations (well, rules really) I came up with afterwards…
- If you are old enough to drive, maybe you shouldn’t be trick or treating.
- If you have to tell the person you are talking to on your Motorola RAZR to “Hold on” so you can say “Trick or Treat”, maybe you shouldn’t be trick or treating.
- If you need to pull a wagon with 2 six packs of beer in it, maybe you shouldn’t take your kid trick or treating.
- If you are not wearing anything that is recognizable as a costume, maybe you shouldn’t be trick or treating.
- If you are going to complain about the candy you get 2 seconds after you get it, you don’t deserve any candy.
- If you are a female below the age of 21, you should have your parents approve your costume.
Besides all that, we had a blast. Most people have some common sense which helps them navigate Trick or Treating, so I really can’t complain too much.
I love the people who get so into it, they recruit every member of their family to be part of the show on the front lawn, either working the elaborate set, or dressing up like a maniac, or pretending to be a live pumpkin head… Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. There’s no baggage involved, it’s pretty much just about fun.