2019.04.16

x-carriage-00

I’ve put a lot of time into the x-axis left side recently. It’s one of the more complex pieces and I really don’t know if I’m doing it right but I can’t want to find out if it works. Since I’m starting with some existing parts, I need to design it to fit those parts. (I originally thought about using other existing designs that are available, but it would have meant purchasing the exact parts to fit, so here we are.)

x-carriage-model

Here’s my model. I’ve hidden the motor, rods, star nut thing, bearings, etc. This is just the part I printed. It seems to do all the things I need/want it to do, but it’s not on the machine yet, so who knows?

x-carriage-02

Here’s the print, with the pieces attached. Seems to look okay, that’s a good sign, right?

x-carriage-01

One of the interesting things about this project is that when I started designing my own pieces I also started to pay more attention to other designs out there, and that’s caused me to think about the decisions people made. Often decisions are made based on print orientation of FDM printers, or amount of material, etc.

support-blockers

I also learned that Cura has a feature called “Support Blocker”, which allows you to set areas where support will not apply. (Here’s an explanation, since I can’t find official docs on it.)

bearing-holder

I also got some 12mm igus drylin slide bearings for the y axis, and printed a holder for them that allows them to be put under pressure for a solid fit. Things are moving along now!

Leave a comment





XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

« | »


buy the button:

Buy The Button