Working for the Mixdown

Final Mixdown

It’s February 28th, 2009 and I just completed the final mixdown (I hope!) of my album for the RPM Challenge.

I’ve been at the board for over 5 hours, after working all day, and I’m tired, and I hope it sounds good…

Next, some sleep, and then to do the album artwork in the morning…


RPM Challenge 2009 Update

We are half way there… and when I say “half way” I’m referring to the fact that the month is half over as well as the fact that I’ve got half of my material recorded.

Though “half done” may not exactly be the right thing to say. While I do have 22 minutes of music recorded and roughly mixed, I still have not added vocals, and I’m sick right now, so I can’t record vocals.

It’s been a challenge this year, that’s for sure, as it should be. Last year I didn’t really have a plan other than “record 10 songs” which I did, but this year I had larger ambitions, which included doing some of the drums (did a little of that) but also sequencing my own beats (didn’t do that yet) but I also had in mind a concept album, which tells a story… I’m still not sure how that will turn out. Overall, I’m happy with the sound I am getting, and learning a lot more about engineering using Logic, which was a major goal this time.

I still have two weeks, and in that time I need to produce another 13 minutes of music, as well as design and produce the album art. I have a few ideas for the artwork, but I haven’t nailed anything down yet. I am pretty excited to see what people think of this release, as it’s a departure from the other things I’ve recorded lately. I honestly don’t expect most of the people I know to like it, but that has much to do with the style and genre of the music I’m creating, and I’m fine with that.

All said and done, I’m glad I’m doing this again. It really is a good challenge to get your mind (and fingers) working towards creating music. I can’t wait for it to be done though…